From:
"Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert I. Eachus
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:31:43 -0500
   Chad Bremmon said:

  > The only place where I suggest an "Ada Mandate" is in interfaces.
  > This is based a lot on discussions with Tucker Taft.  I suggest
  > the following take on Ada.  "I (The DoD) need a service.  Please
  > provide the service.  Oh by the way, provide an Ada interface to
  > all key API's to your system.  You can do it in any language you
  > want."

   Amen!  But get testing to the binding in the contract.  It would
save the government billions if we could establish that the interfaces
are really intended as a deliverable.  A hardware ICD is usually
fairly well maintainded during a project, but the number of useful
software ICDs that are maintained is precious small.  I was on one
contract (involving a client/server configuration) where the vendor
tried to convince us that the only software ICD was to the OS API.
Pulleze! If you really are using POSIX, I don't need three hundred
pages of direct quotes of the POSIX Ada binding, but I do need to know
the protocol the client uses to talk to the server.

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;