From:
Michiel Perdeck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michiel Perdeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:59:37 +0100
I am gathering ammunition to propagate the use of Ada in my company
(CMG plc) and I have the following question:

Ada supports tasking (multithreading) on the level of the language
itself, as opposed to most other languages which leave this to OS calls
who's semantics are not part of the language definition. I think that
the Ada approach has the great advantage of making it possible to
formally specify (a program is a formal specification) the concurrency
aspect of a system. But...

How does the Ada tasking map to a particular operating system? Are there
standard ways for this mapping in e.g. Unix (with and without
lightweight processes), OS/2, Win95, NT, etc.? And what about some of
the well-know C/Unix constructs like fork/exec, does that have an
equivalent in Ada? I know that some of my collegues (specifically the
Unix affictionado's) will want to be certain how specific multi-tasking
constructs are mapped onto the OS! (And don't tell me that one can of
course use OS calls in Ada.)

Regards,
Michiel Perdeck