Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:03:40 -0500
From:
Randy Brukardt <[log in to unmask]>
> There are probably more than 3 options here.  I know of one commercial
> development that is using x86 embedded CPU with DOS to make a
> hand-held Automotive Test instrument .   They are using C & C++.
>
> Since Ada is not available that was not even a factor.  This is an
> upgrade/conversion from an earlier CPU that is no longer available.

For what it's worth, this is not true. R.R. Software's Ada 83 embedded DOS
development system is still available and supported. It's 16-bit, but that
is a good match for 186 type targets. We (still) have a few customers on it.

We looked at bringing our Ada 95 compiler up there, but there hasn't been
sufficient demand to justify the work.

Our Ada 95 Windows compiler (and most of the others, I suspect) can generate
object files that can be used with the Pharlap Win32 embedded development
kit. It's not a very integrated solution (the Pharlap kit doesn't have any
Ada support built-in to it, but if you treat the object file as if it was
created by Visual C++, everything works).

The issue in both cases for some users is that they are expensive
(relatively speaking, that is compared to Visual C++). But claiming that
there isn't any Ada for DOS at all is just wrong.

                        Randy Brukardt
                        R.R. Software, Inc.