Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:51:43 -0700
From:
JF Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pascal Obry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: Decline of Ada popularity (was Re: Proposal : For-Loop...)

> All in all, Toshitaka, I agree with you here. My reaction was more
regarding
> the Net life of Ada. I think that Ada has never been so alive in the
Internet
> community. This is important because more and more projects are beeing
> done. Most (all ?) of them using GNU/Ada and here we agree, GNAT is very
> good for the Ada community.

I think it would be Very Good for the community of someone could finish the
work of c2ada, and make it both complete and free.  I write this after your
comment about GNAT, since I think it could be offered both as a free public
version and as a professional version with consultation.  I would prefer to
see ACT pick this up since they could just package it with GNAT and help
projects migrate away from C towards GNU/Ada95.  If the same could be done
for C++ it would help migrate a lot of professional projects to Ada as well.

What I'd like to see is something that could convert the Common Lisp source
or Perl 5 source into GNAT-compilable Ada95 in one pass.  Entire open source
communities could be suceptible to "Ada conversion"  if such a tool existed.
Vive le Revolution!