From:
"Bremmon, Chad, Capt, SAM-GAPF" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bremmon, Chad, Capt, SAM-GAPF
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:06:00 PST
There should be a mandate, but it needs to be different than the current
mandate.

Here is what I propose:

1.  You must use common software engineering principles.
* Rules to be determined
2.  You must provide an Ada95 (or whatever language the DoD standardizes
on for Glue Code) interface to your API's
3.  You must use as much as possible from the existing library of
maintained application components
  By maintained I mean they are developed already and maintained by an
organization other than the one writing the new application.
The API's to library components will be provided in the "Glue Code"
language.

This above mentioned mandate is not only "do-able" from a vendor
perspective, but it is very useful from a DoD perspective.  It allows
that those who need to use a special language to do some special
functions can do that.  It also provides that whatever is done will be
useful to integrators in the DoD or working for the DoD.

Chad