Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:46:06 +0000
Say we were to write articles, what would be the best subjects to focus on?

I guess it would depend on the target audience, but say we were writing articles
for a professional journal, you would assume that the reader would have some (if
not significant) experience in programming using some language or other.

There are a number of things we could write about, most of which have already
been done at some point or other e.g.:

1) Dispelling the myths, e.g. Ada is...
   a) huge (c.f. flexible)
   b) complicated (c.f. reliable)
   c) unwieldy (c.f. e.g. syntactically and semantically consistent)
   d) slow (due to poor compiler development in the early days)
   e) expensive (c.f.cost of GNAT!)

2) Provide multi-language examples e.g. "I can do this in C/C++/Java/Assembler,
how would I do it in Ada?".

3) Point out how Ada can make things easier e.g.:
   a) multi-tasking built in to the language
   b) use of protected objects for mutual exclusion
   c) representation and address clauses for easy hardware access
   d) distributed programming.

4) Current use of Ada, emphasising the non-military/aerospace use!

Although no Ada article would be complete without it, I think it would be wise
to try not to go overboard on the reliability aspect. I believe there is still a
view that reliable <=> dull!

Any views?

John