Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: ljknews <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:49:18 -0500
At 8:21 AM -0500 12/20/04, Roger Racine wrote:

>3) While Ada, C, and C++ can work together, when they don't work, it is
>difficult to debug the program.  I tried writing a multi-language test
>program, and started out using the version of GCC and GDB that came with
>Red Hat 9.0, and found that it was difficult to step through the program
>when it switched back and forth from Ada to C.  I tried to upgrade GCC and
>GDB, but that caused other problems within GDB (is there any web site that
>explains which version of GDB goes with which version of GCC?).  On a large
>project that could afford a support contract, I am sure the vendor would
>have been able to help, probably quite quickly, but for a small project the
>cost is prohibitive.

But what you describe is a problem with one implementation of Ada (or one
implementation of C -- the same thing might happen between C and Fortran
or C and PL/I).

On VMS the debugger works well between DEC Ada (HP Ada these days) and
other languages.  Those of us without a support contract seem to bask
in the glow of others who have reported problems and gotten them fixed.

>Please don't get me wrong, and think that I have stopped advocating Ada
>(this has happened before when I played devil's advocate).

I have sympathy for the devil's advocate in that regard.
--
Larry Kilgallen