From:
Al Christians <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:22:12 -0700
I like Ada and use Ada, although many (most) times market pressures of
various types constrain me to use other languages much more.

The number one plus is that programs I write in Ada seem to come out
better than those in other languages.

The number one minus is that the number of Ada users in the world I
work in (Wintel desktops and business mainframes) is minuscule in
comparison to _______ (Insert your favorite language here, C++, VB,
Cobol, Delphi, Java, Perl, You-Name-It).   So, for development tools and
source code libraries, the market generally offers fewer options at
higher prices than to those using other languages.  Given that the
number of people actually developing such Ada products is small, they do
remarkably well, but quantity has a quality all its own that is unlikely
to ever be realized in the Ada market.  The software acquisition
strategy of trying six or seven products for $99  each and picking the
one that's least fatally flawed, typical in the Windows world,  is
not available to Ada users.

There is fine Ada software available gratis, and I hereby express my
unreserved appreciation of all who can share their work that way. A
thousand more such generous souls would be needed, however,  to match
the stream of buzzword-compliant products available in the mainstream
markets.

Al