Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:15:33 -0800
From:
"Robert C. Leif" <[log in to unmask]>
I am still struggling with the commercial software provided by Galil to
support their servo controller board.  Unfortunately the use of C and C++ is
often strongly correlated with poor design and a cavalier attitude towards
hazards. The reference state of the board has the motor moving!

Therefore, I need an answer to two questions.

1) Is there any available servomotor or stepping motor control Ada source
code?  I know there is at the National Laser Ignition Facility;
unfortunately, they are not sharing.

Since A# does not support representation specifications, I need to use a
standard Ada compiler with Microsoft Windows XP or Windows XP embedded to
write to a port. 2) Has anyone solved the problem of having Ada work for
board programming with Microsoft's latest products; and would they share the
solution?

3) If not, are we giving up on the Windows market?

4) Has anyone else in the Ada community used XForms and on what platform?

I use FormsPlayer, which presently is free on Windows XP.  Parenthetically,
XForms is a real threat to Microsoft. It is an open, W3C specification.
XForms provides many of the services of a GUI. I believe that it would be a
killer application in Ada, which could serve as the basis of the GUI for an
Ada operating system.

Bob Leif