Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Simon Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:23:15 GMT
> From: Bruce Hennessy <[log in to unmask]>

> if you are trying to 'reverse engineer' an existing system that is
> not OO designed, in order to continue to 'maintain' that system,
> i.e. fairly significant changes keep coming in - you could run into
> roadblocks when trying to represent that system in UML. For example
> class diagrams will be tough to produce when the Ada constructs
> don't fit nicely into classes.

As an example, consider generics .. Rose has no way of representing

  type T is private;
  with function "=" (L, R : T) return Boolean is <>;

let alone signature packages.

Lots and lots of "notes"!

We design for a code generator, so the application doesn't need much
of UML. However, I agree it can be tricky trying to model the way the
framework fits together, the saving grace there is that it "onlY"
needs to be understandable by people.