Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:17:12 -0400
From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, Everyone,

My trip report from the Microsoft Tech Ed 2000 Conference in early June is
out.
Attended by 11,000 people and held in Orlando, Tech Ed 2000 is the first of
several
Tech Ed conferences held by Microsoft this year (I think there will be a
total of 14,
with an estimated total attendance of 35,000 software developers).

The conference I attended included 250+ technical sessions, a Microsoft
pavilion
(where you could meet with members of the various product development teams
and
discuss the products, watch demos, etc), about 300 vendors, and a variety of
other
events.  The trip report, about 50M bytes in size, includes many of the
presentations
(in Powerpoint) and links to the rest.

I've placed a fairly large section into the report on the impact of
Microsoft on
our culture and community.  There's a lot of material on the collaborations
that
have formed, and speeches by Bill Gates at the Government Leaders
Conference,
the CEO Summit, and several other events.  I think this serves to show how
far
reaching the Microsoft collaborations and partnerships have become, and I
feel we
have even more reason as a community to join in with collaborations such as
the
ones reported in this paper.

I'm glad to see that SIGAda 2000 has several sessions on interfacing Ada
with
Microsoft technologies.  With Windows 2000 running IT systems on Aircraft
Carriers
now, this is just the beginning of seeing these technologies enter domains
many
of us work in where Microsoft did not appear before, such as airplanes,
space,
and so on.

The URL for the trip report is:
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/tech_ed_2000/index.htm

I also have two other related trip reports (one on the launch of Windows
2000
and the other on a Microsoft eXtreme event in which the Pocket PC was
launched).
You can get to the whole set from my KSU website at:
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/

Rick
Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
Reuse Tapestry