From:
"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kester, Rush W.
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:25:12 -0500
The Ada and Linux communities seem to be moving towards a marriage that will
allow reliable systems to be developed for desktop and embedded systems at a
very affordable price.  If any of you are interested in helping to put the
technology in the direction of Ada you should contact your favorite Linux
vendor and inquire about Ada bindings and/or API's.  Or what ever else is
important to your applications.

If they haven't heard about Ada, but your interested enough in their
products, you can use the information below to push them in the "right"
direction.

Last week I went to a free seminar on Blue Cat Linux last week and it looks
like an interesting approach.  Blue Cat Linux is reported to offer binary
level compatibility between their embedded LynxOS and desktop Linux.  There
are lots of third party partners with lots of drivers for popular devices.
One thing they seem to have going for them is a rigorous ISO 9K development
and test methodology and 24x7 year-round and even world-wide support.

The folks I talked to at the Blue Cat talk were unaware of Ada, but an Ada
user in the UK who works for one of their partners is.  Trevor Woolven
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] said

-----------
On 10/15/99, Jay Pruiett at Smith Industries wrote:
I am leading up a Software development effort at Smiths Industries in Grand
Rapids [Michigan, USA] and we are doing some interesting work with Ada on
Linux.

On 12/7/99 Theresa Rickman [[log in to unmask]] wrote:
For more information on our Real-time Linux initiative, please check our web
site,
http://www.bluecat.com, or review the following article -
http://www.eet.com/story/OEG19991119S0023

The following URLs may also be of interest:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/
http://www.zentropix.com/ a supplier of GNATPRO Real-Time Development
systems
http://www.realtimelinux.org/ for Real Time Linux Information

Rush Kester
Software Systems Engineer
AdaSoft at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: (240) 228-3030 (live M-F 9:30am-4:30pm, voicemail anytime)
fax:      (240) 228-6779
http://hometown.aol.com/rwkester/myhomepage/index.html