Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:02:38 -0500
From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
From: Charles Plinta <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 5:17 AM
Subject: an obscure Ada reference...

> I have done alot of programmimg over the last 7 years using
> the Progress database environment. I have a client that is
> insisting that we use Oracle to develop a system for them.
> Like any good programmer worth his weight in salt,
> I purchased a book to get a feel for working and programming
> in the Oracle database environment. It is from Oracle Press entitled:
> "Oracle 8i, A Beginners Guide" by Abbey, Corey, and Abramson.
>
> Chapter 8: PL/SQL
>   Section: Why do I need to know PL/SQL? (page 231)
>
>   "If you want to become fluent with the Oracle Product Set,
>    PL/SQL must become part of your skill set.  IF you have
>    any programming experience with Ada, PL/SQL will seem very
>    familiar..."
>
> Anyone with Oracle experience care to comment?
It's true.  Several years ago, I did a lot of work with embedded SQL,
with VADS on IRIX, using Oracle's Pro*Ada precompiler that generated
calls to the Oracle Ada library from the embedded SQL code.

We did make extensive use of PL/SQL in our embedded SQL, one reason
for which was the very Adaesque features of PL/SQL.