From:
Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:12:27 -0700
Dear All,

Thought it would be worthwhile to add my impressions of the OOPSLA
SIGAda Booth to those already made.

This was my first time running the SIGAda Booth at a conference and it
was a very pleasureable experience. Many OOPSLA attendees who stopped by
were very pleased to see that Ada had a strong presence there. Many were
surprised Ada was still around and were generally impressed to find out
Ada has been so successful in the mission-critical and safety-critical
domains. Most were interested in finding out more about Ada and readily
took handouts. The prepared packets for distribution (Ada Resource
Catalog, Ada Success Stories, Why Use Ada, ...), all 2 1/2 boxes worth
were gone the first day at the conference. Of the 2 boxes of Tri-Ada'97
Advance Program flyers, about 1 and 3/4 boxes were distributed (about
450 flyers). My compliments to the Tri-Ada'97 Committee for a very
attractive flyer filled with a strong technical program. This speaks
stongly on the viability of Ada and is important to distribute at
conferences. [Of the remaining 50 flyers, half were given to Bill
Phillips for the ACM booth; the other half brought back in my suitcase
for distribution in the D.C. area]. Of interest, 30 CD ROMS were sold,
18 at $10 and 12 given free with new SIGAda memberships. More
disks/memberships might have been sold had the disks been available on
Monday.

I would like to thank Gary Kephart and Ed Seidewitz, both with dynamic
personalities who readily attracted customers to describe the benefits
of Ada. Your work is very much appreciated. Also, I would like to thank
Hal Hart, Brian Abraham, Heather Levell, and Bill Phillips who
facilitated the logistics of getting the needed boxes to and from the
conference.

I strongly believe the SIGAda Booth had a powerful impact on those
attending OOPSLA'97. The Ada Advocacy Initiative is extremely important
and I encourage others to get involved at future conferences. This is
one of the best ways to inform others on the benefits of Ada. These
people will go back to their office with a more positive image of Ada.

v/r
Currie