From:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 02:43:35 -0700
Rakesh Malhotra wrote:

Thanks for the posting. good news for Ada.

Now if Ada can make it in the big commerical web server market, that is
where the big wave of future development will be.  one of the programs I
work on (a web server) is more than 500,000 line of source code (just
the core system). it is all C/C++. (I know there are larger Ada
applications than this offcourse, but those are military most likley).

In the web server market, Java is seen as the next big language to move
into this area, thanks to java-corba intergation (JDK 1.2 come with omg
classes for interfacing java to corba for example), jave-idl compilers.
and things like java servlets and server-side java applications (thanks
to web servers having the JVM built-into them), and orbs with java API
allready avaliable (visigenic) , etc.. Ada is no where to be seen in
this market.

One of  ways I see to help fix this, is to have an ADK (Ada development
kit), with standard libraries that Ada community standarise on (like
what is happining with the JDK). the ADK does not have to have a
compiler with it, just a set of additional standard Ada packages that
every one can depend on being there and common and well requlated and
updated. if we need to have a compiler, we should have a free one like
GNAT in the ADK.

The problem is that there are a number of Ada packages out there on the
net, some ok, some not ok, some no one knows if they are being
maintained any more or what is their status. one can;t depend on such
software components scattered all over the net.  If these were to be
collected, documented well (as in javadoc), dusted off, given version
numbers, source controlled well, the good ones selected, put in the ADK,
then that is a start. we should follow the way the JDK is being done.

but who will take the task of doing the ADK? this is not a minor task,
this a big task, but having a standard ADK is what we need.

ok, back to my web server debugging..

thanks,
Nasser