From:
Chris Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:30:29 -0800
Paolo,

> Here is question:
>     will ada programs, given appropriate directives, run in parallel
>     on a two processor pc intel machine, provided that that the linux
>     kernel as been compiled setting SMP=1 in the makefile?

I believe that if you use LinuxThreads, your threads can be parcelled
out
to different CPUs.  I am not a 100% sure, since I don't have a multi-CPU
system.  I don't know if LinuxThreads takes care of the parallelism,
however,
I believe it can be done.

>     Can you tell where to get examples in which parallel instructions
>     ae used in ada source?

Like I said above.  If you have two separate threads they'll probably be
run on separate CPUs.  See the following for info on LinuxThreads.

http://www.centralva.net/faq/unix/FAQ/Threads/
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/

My suggestion is to contact Xavier Leroy for further info.  If you are
successful please let me know.  I want to go with a two processor system
like you have.  Good Luck!

--
Chris Sparks
68 442 SC - Frosty