Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:00:33 -0500
From:
Stephen Leake <[log in to unmask]>
"Jackson, Justin" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Dear Teamers,
>   I would be grateful if anyone could point me at some URLs which together
> provide a comprehensive and ideally comparative survey of the currently
> available Ada95 graphics bindings (e.g GKS type as well as the usual GUI
> boxes). I am mainly interested in bindings that work with GNAT on
> Windows/Linux/Solaris, but anything for a diskless target (e.g. VX Works
> environment) would also be very interesting.
> The Ada advocacy angle is that I am hoping to convince people (including
> myself) that we can do what we need to all in Ada rather than Ada calling
> C++ MFC dlls.

I don't think "MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes ?) dlls" will run on
Solaris or Linux or VxWorks, with or without GNAT. So what is your
real alternative?

Ada Core Technologies (http://www.gnat.com) provides technical support
for GNAT and GtkAda, which will run on Solaris, Linux, and Windows. So
that would be your best bet; all support in one place!

I don't think VxWorks has the notion of a GUI, but I could be wrong.
You could run a GUI front-end on Linux, which talks via sockets to a
VxWorks real-time system. Again, ACT provides support for GNAT on
VxWorks.

One alternative to VxWorks is real-time Linux. Guess what: ACT again!
I hope some other vendors start providing as wide a product line!

>   Regards
>
>   Justin Jackson

> recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender
> immediately by telephoning +44(1252) 373232. You should not copy it
> or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to
> any other person.

-- Stephe