From:
John Beidler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Beidler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:38:11 -0400
Scott and Laura Moody wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't specific enough in my requirement. I know
> all about cgi, and have done tons of it also (ada or otherwise).
>
> Instead I need the apache extension capability where a
> compiled language is pre-loaded into apache and available
> to perl programs, and "embedded perl" web programs
> via a special interface language (that must generate a
> perl API of some sort).  Actually this isn't specific to
> apache, but a module for perl. Apache just lets it be
> pre-loaded in the httpd's that are spawned at runtime.
> - this is available in something from the perlmod family of tools.
>
> This is MUCH faster than CGI programs since the process
> is already running (they reuse httpd processes).

Sounds to me like you are interested in creating a resource that works like
the Microsoft front page, PHP, and other user defined Apache extensions
work.  If so, don't fool yourself into thinking they are faster.  In fact,
they work like server side includes, hence they scan the entire output of the
httpd looking for string matches that put them into action.  If this is what
you have in mind, there is a section of the Apache help facility that
describes how to do it.  If I run across the specific page I'll send you the
URL.

Jack
--
John (Jack) Beidler, Ph.D., Professor of Computer Science
Computing Sciences Department           Mailto:[log in to unmask]