Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:51:22 +0000
From:
Ian Sommerville <[log in to unmask]>
Ada has not had the impact which I and many others anticipated and is
now primarily used for defence and aerospace systems. Few
universities now teach Ada as a first language (I think the last Uk
university changed from Ada to Java this year) so few students
actually understand it.

Personally, I think that Ada is a better language than java for
software engineering but the academic and commercial markets do not
agree. I have to be realistic about this and make changes that are
aimed at the majority of users. I would be surprised if you found any
new texts that used Ada.

I am sorry that you feel unable to use the book - in fact, the Ada
examples from the previous edition are still available through the
website and I do not think that the central message of the book which
is about good software engineering practice is language dependent.

Best wishes

Ian

At 11:24 am +0100 30/1/01, Peter Hermann wrote:
>Professor Ian Sommerville,
>
>why on earth did you drop Ada?
>I can no more afford to recommend your book to my students.
>
>http://www.awlonline.com/product/0,2627,020139815X,00.html
>http://info.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/staff/person.phtml?member_id=002
>
>--
>Peter Hermann Tel+49-711-685-3611 Fax3758 [log in to unmask]
>Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen
>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/
>Team Ada: "C'mon people let the world begin" (Paul McCartney) Lucky

Professor Ian Sommerville                       Phone: +44-1524 593795
Computing Dept.,                                Fax: +44-1524 593608
Lancaster University,                           E-mail: [log in to unmask]
LANCASTER LA1 4YR, UK