From:
"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Conn
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 19:52:29 -0500
Hi, Mike,

Glad you joined in.  You made a lot of good points here.

Yes, our equations are a lot different.  You are right
about the nature of the universities ... in Georgia,
we have a really different way of handling higher
education that is double-edged in my opinion.  With
the Lottery providing huge amounts of money for
education, high school students with an average above
a certain level get to go to college for (I think)
free so long as they retain their average.  I could
be wrong, but it's something like that ... either free
or almost free.

We also have classes teaching C++ to Freshmen.  This
is my first semester here, and when I saw some of
my students doing so poorly, I asked the dept heads
if there was a problem.  Their response was that this
kind of thing is typical and not to worry.  So I kept
following the lesson plan with my own little Ada twists.

I don't have the experience of trying to teach Ada
to Freshmen (just graduate students and industry
people), so I don't have a basis of comparison.
But it continues to strike me that the fun aspects
of VB let me cover the same or more material more
effectively than I could have with Ada.  And I'm
introducing objects and classes from the start in
a visual way.  So, I think it does make a difference.

Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/