From:
Tucker Taft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Taft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:46:59 -0400
Tucker Taft wrote:

> kemillik wrote:
> >
> > I am doing some research on the history of programming languages
> > derived from ALGOL.
> >
> > My questions are: were the definitions of the Red, Blue, Yellow, and
> > Green languages published; and if so, do you know where I could find
> > paper or electronic copies?
>
> They were not published commercially.  The DoD made up a bunch of
> copies for review, and I presume that some of them are still kicking
> around.  You might want to post your request to "comp.lang.ada" as well,
> in case some reader has one they could lend you.

I just did some research, and was able to find at least one
of the documents on NTIS (http://www.ntis.gov).
The NTIS number for the "Red Language Reference Manual" is:
   AD-A219 453/8INZ

I searched for "red language".  You might try searching for
"Green language" as well.  The other two might not have such
obvious names, as I don't believe they actually had the words
"blue language" or "yellow language" in their titles.
Furthermore, "Green" was developed in France, so might not
have been published through NTIS.  Note that the "free"
NTIS search supposedly only covers since 1990, and you need
to use the "fee-based" service to go back to 1964.  Somehow,
it managed to show the Red Language manual, but none of the
others showed up from my straightforward search attempts.

--
-Tucker Taft   [log in to unmask]   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)