Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:05:43 -0500
From: Jeff Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Tom Moran wrote:

> Who do the vendors target, and what do they find enthuses the
>decision makers?  Who decides on a programming language and
>what "felt need" of theirs matches one of Ada's strengths?

This would be a very interesting thread to explore.

I think the large Ada vendors and compiler vendors are more likely to be in
sales situations where they have to sell the language as much as their
products.  GrammaTech customers already use Ada or are about to start an Ada
project by the time we reach or hear from them, so I don't have much to
contribute here.

Perhaps our friends at Aonix, Green Hills, Rational, DDCI, and ACT can
describe their experiences .  How have you sold Ada the language to the
previously unconvinced?
What are their hot buttons?  What are Ada's top strengths in their eyes?  When
Ada loses to other languages, what are the key factors (and how might they be
overcome in the future)?
If it's not proprietary info, what is your success rate at companies that
didn't use Ada before?  Which groups (however you wish to categorize) are most
likely to consider Ada?  Which groups might follow later if Ada's successes
become better known?  Which groups are least likely to consider Ada and why?

Jeff

Jeff Burns, Director of Marketing
GrammaTech, Inc.
One Hopkins Place