From:
"Marc A. Criley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 07:12:49 -0400
> prabhath wrote:
>
> Hello,
>   I am interested in finding out the productivity ( no. of LOC per day
> per person) for migrating source code written in VADS Ada 83 compiler to
> GNAT Ada 95 compiler. Is there any standard metric available for this?
> Can any one help me in this regard.

This depends heavily on the nature of the code you're porting.  If your
original system was designed for portability, avoiding implementation
dependencies and vendor-supplied packages, the productivity would be:

   SLOCs in system/Time to recompile

Barring that, if the code depends on the way VADS implemented certain
things that may vary from the way GNAT does (such as the 'Size of Duration
or access types), that has to be remediated.  And if use was made of VADS
supplied packages, you have to determine which packages were used, how
extensively, and what functionality of those packages was being utilized?

So there can't be any _standard_ metric, because the issue is way too
dependent on the way the original code was written.

A few months ago I did some analysis regarding migrating a good-sized
system (~150K SLOC) from VADS/Solaris to GNAT/Linux.  This code had VADS
dependencies, but they weren't extensive.  I put together some package
specs mimicking the ones that were used and found that over 95% of this
code would then successfully compile.  So in effect 95% of the code was
ported in a couple hours, while the remaining 5% would probably take a week
or so.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation