Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:35:50 -0400
From:
Ben Brosgol <[log in to unmask]>
Robert Eachus wrote:

>Right now the situation is slightly chaotic due to the Euro currency
>symbol, which is in the newest version of Latin-1.  It replaces the
>"international currency symbol," which no one ever used anyway.  Other than
>that ASCII is now 8-bits and identical to Latin-1.

Interestingly, and as Robert may recall, Jean Ichbiah once proposed that Ada
allow the international currency symbol as a unary operator symbol that was
available for users to overload.  JDI's idea was that it could serve as a
lightweight notation for type conversions for user-defined types (typically
unary "+" is used for that purpose).  For various reasons his proposal was
not accepted, which is probably a good thing given Robert's news that this
symbol is being evicted from Latin-1 to make room for the euro.

Ben Brosgol