From:
Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:33:01 +0200
Alan and Carmel Brain writes:
 > >  > How to generate HTML in Ada,
 > >
 > > This is just plain mistake and should never ever be done. This is the main
 > > problem with PHP, JSP, ASP...
 >
 > A special case of generating XML from Ada - much the same as the above.

Not at all in my point of view. XML is a way to structure data and I see no
problem to generate some XML representation of Ada data (whatever it
means: objects, data read from a database...). The representation is not going
to change a lot or you'll have trouble handling your data anyway. This is a
bit like database schema, they change very rarely.

But HTML is a representation (design) that is to be displayed by a Web
server. If you write your HTML from an Ada program it will be quite hard to
maintain and to change the design of the site. All design work is done using
some very nice tool like Dreamweaver...

 > >  > How to implement a TCP/IP stack in Ada etc)
 > >
 > > Of course possible, but I don't see the point...
 >
 > Because if I want to guard a billion-dollar business that is web-aware,
 > that does millions of dollars of business-to-business trade via secure web
 > pages,
 > I don't want to rely on any crappy first-to-market shoddy and insecure OS
 > that

Ok granted.

Pascal.

--|