From:
Nick Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:20:25 -0000
> I consider to try to get my cousin hooked on programming in
> Ada. ... I would like to put together a cd-rom with good, free
> and useful tools and libraries.
>  * But which IDE?  (Emacs is probably not sufficiently
>    Windows-like)

As a matter of personal preference, I use the text editor called PFE
(Programmer's File Editor). It doesn't have the bells and whistles of other
dev-editors, but it gets most of the basic stuff really right. It has the
ability to launch a DOS box, and to run a program and capture its output in
a window (buffer), so running gnatmake from it is easy. It is easy to
install, and has proper help. Go to:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

>  * Other stuff?

CS-RCS Basic (revision control system) from:

http://www.componentsoftware.com/products/rcs/

which I now rely upon. It has that rare and wonderful quality, for Windows
software, of simply working. It is fully 'Windificated', efficient, has
proper help, and is very easy to install and use.

Both are free (for personal use).

I feel sure a trawl starting at AdaPower:

http://www.adapower.org

will reveal some useful libraries and stuff.

Season's greetings,
Nick Roberts