From:
Samuel Mize <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samuel Mize <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 08:15:34 -0500
Hal Hart wrote:
> The FAA may be the next and biggest critical "test case" for Ada.  New
> FAA Chief Engineer (I think that's his title?) ART PYSTER (former SPC
> CTO) is exploring the PL issue for re-doing air traffic control
> systems again and whatever else they implement.  From a conversation
> with Art at SEPG'97 2 months ago, I think he understands the technical
> merits of Ada but raised the issue of long-term stability of the Ada
> vendor industry; I tried to explain that that had been a real issue fo
> many of us in the 80's, but the storm seemed to have been weathered
> more than satisfactorily and, if anything, one could count a very
> healthy increase in vendors in recent years.  Needless to say, he did
> not immediately make his decision based on my input. ...

Ada will never become unsupported.

At least, GNAT won't, even if ACT closes its doors.  Since all the
sources are public, individuals and organizations that want to use it
will continue to be able to debug it, improve it, migrate it to new
platforms and build specialized tools to work with it.

Since there are a lot of long-term projects using Ada, there will
be a lot of people willing to fund ACT or form a working group to
maintain the GNAT sources.

Sam Mize

--
Samuel Mize -- [log in to unmask] -- Team Ada
(personal net account)