Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:34:45 -0600
Project C would eventually do the design documents? Are you sure? Will they
at all accurate? Will you have the design documents for Version 1 by the
time you are making changes in Version 2? This isn't about language, it's
about cutting corners and deferring costs. Just because you don't do the
design/architectural/documentation work before you code, doesn't mean you
aren't going to do it. You have no choice. I don't believe that anyone can
produce a complicated system without a design or an implied architecture.

Hopefully not to bad a rant......

How many of us have worked with these hackers who run out and do all the fun
coding only to leave the project when the boring paperwork has to be done?
This part of your case has nothing to do with language, but whether or not
you've hired software engineers or programmers. The longer I'm in this
industry the better I understand the difference between the two. It seems
that most companies have a very vocal group of hackers who follow their own
process (ad hoc, if anything) and will only do c++ for microsoft (the
license of which specifically states that it is not to be used for any
critical, safe, or high-reliable task), I won't say anything about their
compiled job security. I think most companies are more worried about these
undisciplined programmers quitting, rather than if a good quality job is
being done. I'm not impressed with the caliber of most of the students being
turned out from CS programs. Seems they don't actually write any real code
these days. I hope the trend of teaching Ada in schools continues, because
we need to teach these future programmers and SW engineers how to do more
than hack code. Who wants to travel to Mars on a craft that's powered by c++
and MFC? "It took use 5 years to make the 3 month trip, we had to reboot a
few times, and we lost our nav to the blue screen of death!" Sounds like a
modern Donner party waiting to happen.

I'm currently working on a system that is half Ada and half c. A prototype
that got fielded and was never formally developed, oh yeah, the
documentation will be done later (that was 5 years ago, the original people
have been gone for 3). The Ada and c code both do identical tasks but run in
different boxes. I'm just starting to collect metrics on what it takes to
make changes or add new features. I'll tell you one thing, the changes made
to the Ada code work and require much less integration time. Probably
because Ada doesn't let you put in all those cool side effects and coding
tricks. I'd much rather try to figure out poorly written Ada code than
average c code.

I have also prototyped in Ada, sometimes in races with c folk. My coding
wasn't done first, but my working prototypes were. Where I was at the time
we didn't release prototypes, we learned from them and the did the actual
development with a real understanding of what the customer wanted. If you're
blaming Ada because you can't meet a budget then I think you really need to
take a look at the people you've hired. Are they SW engineers or
programmers? You need a mix, and someone has to maintain the discipline to
do a good job. You can't test in quality, it has to be engineered in.

You can have any two: Good, Cheap, or Fast. But not all three!

A little raving.....

If Ada is going to fail because it is to 'process focused', then what does
that say about the state of the software profession at large? The hardware
and firmware guys are using reusable components, visual modeling, and
upfront design. All these things have been proposed for software, yet to
many people refuse to adopt them. ACM is always trying to promote the "SW
Professional", are we really living up to this? I certainly try. The people
that work for me do their design and documentation up front, they have no
choice. I will not going to give them a budget and wait until they get half
way through to find out that they don't understand the problem. It
interesting to see how smooth thing go when the design is done up front and
it's documented.

Well, that's about a $0.02 reply & $0.98 or ranting and raving.

John T Apa                              [log in to unmask]
L-3 CSW                                 (801) 594-3382
PO Box 16850                            Fax: (801) 594-2195
640 North 2200 West                     Salt Lake City, UT. 84116-0850