Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:24:43 -0400
From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Teamers,

You may recall that for a number of years, I was the keeper of the
Ada textbook list with brief (sometimes opinionated) reviews.
Toward the end of 1996, I turned it over to Magnus Kempe, who
volunteered to maintain it, and he did so until sometime in 1997,
on AdaHome.

I turned it over because I thought it was inappropriate for a book
author to be maintaining a bibliography of reviews that covered
his own book and those of his competitors.

The list is copyrighted Mike Feldman and Magnus
Kempe. As far as I'm concerned, thre is no need for such a
list to be copyrighted, but Magnus copyrighted everything on

Well, it's the end of 1999, several new Ada books and new editions
of older ones have come out, and Magnus is no longer maintaining the
list.  This is embarrassing for all of us.

David Botton has put together on AdaPower a very nice set of
up-to-date links to publishers' and  authors' sites, but it
lacks the brief reviews of the other lists, which are, I think,
helpful in understanding what a given book provides.

What to do, what to do?

Let's take the bull by the horns. I started with the last version
of my list before I turned it over to Magnus.

I wrote some of the brief reviews; so did others, and they are all
attributed to someone, using the reviewers's initials at the end.
The list of reviewers is given at the top.

I added a couple of recent reviews of my own, and one or two
annotations in cases where a new edition has come out.  In most
(but not all) cases I've inserted the correct links to author
or publisher websites

I think it's improper to use any of the reviews Magnus wrote,
without getting his permission, and, as we know, he's been kinda
hard to find recently.

So.... I need your help to fill in the gaps. This ought to be
a community project, not a 1- or 2- man one, so please download the
new list from

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html

and see if you can add a review. We are in special need of revised
reviews of new editions (my intro book, Barnes, Burns/Wellings) and
of books with no reviews as yet. Just e-mail me the review, in plain
text (NOT ATTACHMENT!), to conform to the format in the existing list.
I'll update the list ASAP and give you full credit for your work,
of course.

I've already changed the links on the education site to point
to this new list instead of adahome.

I'll work with David Botton to find the best way to integrate
these brief reviews with AdaPower's nice book section.

Cheers,

Mike Feldman