From:
Frank Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:36:48 -0700
From: David Botton <[log in to unmask]>

>    [...]
> At least one GUI builder is already in development and
> others are being discussed. It is my intention to pound
> on VB and Delphi lists once at least one of them is
> available as the Open Source Alternative to VB and Delphi...
> I hope everyone is ready ;-)

In the case of VB, you probably couldn't pick better timing, with VB.NET coming
up, IMHO.

Where I work, we do a lot of VB development, and we're facing the rather
daunting prospect of migrating to VB.NET, which has significant
incompatibilities relative to VB6.

Although there are translation tools available, even Microsoft apparently takes
the position that migration will involve more rewrite than porting. Plus there's
all the new stuff we'd have to learn -- managed/unmanaged code, assemblies,
delegation, MSIL, CLR, etc. Can't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of
transitioning from one proprietary language to yet another proprietary language.

If migration is going to be such a hassle, why not migrate to an ISO language?
Like, well, you-know-what?

While we're on the subject, is there an Ada guide for VB programmers that is
similar to Simon Johnston's excellent guide for C/C++ programmers that's posted
at adahome.com?

-- Frank Manning
-- Tucson, AZ