Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: James Squire <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:39:46 -0600
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]> 02/06/98 02:21pm wrote:

> Anyone who would choose C++ over Ada in an environment where Ada
> development tools and compilers were available either does not
> understand Ada or does not understand C++, or both.

Perhaps, but I think there's a point being missed here.  My message was
actually not meant to slam the person I quoted.

The point is:  *IF* Ada programmers are hard to come by, then your
insight above is useless.  I'm not an expert in the recruitment area, so
I take on face value that these comments come (in this case) from actual
experience trying to hire Ada programmers.

My comments were primarily directed at CS professionals who judge a job
as not worthy of their attention because it uses Ada (anymore than they
should do so with a job that uses C++).

The point is, people should not have to deal with "we can't hire enough
Ada programmers".  They shouldn't have to think in those terms.  But
maybe the current supply of CS engineers out there is forcing them to.

*That's* what I find embarrassing (if true).  If it's not true, then
somebody needs to get the word out.  I would, if I just had hard data to
back me up.
---
James Squire             Send my Spam to mailto:[log in to unmask]
MDA^H^H^HBoeing St. Louis                          http://www.boeing.com
Hey Novell, is it too much to ask that when I log out of NetWare, it
should ACTUALLY record that I've logged out, so that it doesn't have to
scramble around the house laboriously when I try to log back in, forcing
me to ring the door bell 20 times??????
Opinions expressed here are my own and NOT my company's
"On my world, there are books, thousands of pages, about the power of
one mind to change the Universe. But none say it as clearly as this."
        -- Delenn (re: Japanese stone garden), "The Gathering"