Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:05:12 EST
:> >the point. With C I can get a clean compile on my program immediately,
:> >but it takes me a long time to get it to run.  With Ada it takes a long
:> >time to get a clean compile, but once it compiles there is less work
:> >required to make it run."
:>
:> That is the first half of the prime virtue of Ada.  The second half is
:> that compile-time error messages are guaranteed to be issued while the
:> code is still in the hands of the programmer, rather than in the hands
:> of the user.

These two items perhaps deserve well over half the credit, but I wouldn't
give them ALL the credit.  I believe that a significant benefit of Ada
(one that many otherwise good Ada programmers don't have a good grasp of)
is support for abstraction.  Ada makes it easy for the code to look like
the problem and solution.  C, Fortran, etc. make it easy for the code to
look like code.

  Direction : Degrees;     vs.       float dir;
  Speed     : Knots;                 float spd;

etc.

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-41)                 Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808                  (Unix): [log in to unmask]