From:
Ian Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:24:41 -0500
(* From Randy Brukardt *)
For what it's worth, Claw 1.1 took about 20 minutes to compile with optimization on my Pentium 90.  That's 77,000 source lines, with about 180 compilation units.

Individual units take only a few seconds to compile.

For what it's worth, that sort of performance has been fairly steady with Janus/Ada since we put 486/66s in here. Most of the compilation time is disk operations; CPU is a big factor only for optimization.

My brief experience with other language compilers shows no meaningful difference in compilation speed.

                        Randy Brukardt.