Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:11:30 -0700
While it's sad to see, I've come to the same conclusion. It's been over two
years since I've seen a resume with Ada on it, though its still listed in
the job descriptions. The job postings for the country aren't very promising
either, seems there's never more than 40-50 openings and many of those are
on risky programs like Crusader/FCS or in areas where I'd have to lower my
standard of living. It's become very costly to find and recruit knowledgable
Ada Engineers, and the ones I find haven't touched Ada95 (or OOA/D) and are
basically doing Adatran.

It's disappointing to say the least, but I'm going down the c++ path. I'm
not doing any conversion, simply identifying key functionality and
redesigning it in c++ on an as needed basis.

JTA

-----Original Message-----
From: Clyde Roby [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 7:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Future of Ada

Team Ada,

There seems to be some active consideration by a large
aerospace/defense contractor about how they transition from Ada to
other languages (e.g., C, C++).  They currently maintain millions of
lines of legacy Ada code and they perceive that the supporting
infrastructure (e.g., skilled labor, tools) is dwindling.

I'm not aware of any efforts regarding Ada legacy code conversion.
Indeed, there still seems to be efforts on-going for conversion of
Jovial legacy code using automated tools.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Clyde Roby, SIGAda Secretary/Webmaster