Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Patricia K Lawlis <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:44:44 EST
Bob Lief wrote:

> I will admit that data mining, with all of its difficulties, is about all
> that can presently be done, especially with minimal funds. I hope that some
> studies will be done correlating the costs of the Year 2000 "Bug" with:
> programming language, operating system, software development methodology,
> and training of both software engineers and managers.

Yes, there are certainly problems with data mining.  The researchers are at
the mercy of whatever data was collected on a project, and that is very often
not very comprehensive or consistent.  For example, we tried to make some
statistical correlations with respect to many other indicators, such as
programming language, but we couldn't get enough consistent data to make
anything statistically significant.  But just because it is difficult doesn't
mean we shouldn't keep trying.

Pat

Patricia K. Lawlis, Ph.D.
c.j. kemp systems, inc.
P.O. Box 586
Fairborn, OH 45324-0586
Fairborn office: (937) 878-3303 (voice and fax)
Phoenix office: (602) 460-7399 (voice and fax)
http://members.aol.com/ConsultCJK