Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:44:00 -0600
I think Ada will hang on for a while in the support role, but I do not see
any new starts among my circle of contacts. The last I heard from my JSF
friends was that c++ was replacing Ada (anyone hear any different?). The
very people who mentored me in Ada a decade ago are now doing c++ and Java.

The following reasons Ada's demise are difficult to ignore:

* It is to hard to hire Ada experienced engineers.

* Many people refuse Ada training because they don't see a career path.

* Vendor support is almost non-existent, ACT aside.

* Design and test tools are being supported or being evolved.

* Tool vendors want us to fund their Ada developments, to big $ and risk
burden.

* I just did a quick check on Amazon and there aren't many Ada books out
there by comparison.

Its not right that Ada is being beat up so badly, but when the number of
engineers willing to work in a given language drops below a certain
threshold I think the writing is on the wall. Ada is far superior to C++ and
Java, but unfortunately I have mortgages to pay off.

JTA