Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:09:44 -0400
From: "Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]>
At 04:03 PM 10/1/98 CST, pjohnson wrote:
>I am working on a project the requires the use of Rational's Rose modeling
tool
>and Apex compiler.  We are using Rose 98 on Win95/NT to generate the models.
>Once the models are complete we have to move them to Rose Ada on a Sparc for
>code generation, reverse engineering, and builds.  This is done because
Rose 98
>does not support Ada95.  While at Rational for an Apex course I spoke to the
>Rose 98 sales/marketing support people about an Ada95 addin for Rose 98.  I
>thought this was a reasonable request as Rational sells a Win95/NT Ada95
>compiler.  The response was unexpected.  I was told that they saw no
future in
>Ada and no one used Ada on PCs, just Java, Visual C++, and Visual Basic.

-- Nice of them to tell you what you were not doing...
> They also stated that they knew they had lost the Ada market and saw no
reason >to support Ada on their PC product.  I pointed out the Aonix has sold
>75,000-85,000 licenses of ObjectAda and that translates into a fairly nice
>market potential for modeling tools.

-- In this case it sounds like they were correct, they have lost the Ada
market --for PCs.  It would take them several years and lots of dollars to
get to the
--point of having a competitive PC Ada product.  What you might want to look
--into is integrating Rose with GNAT or ObjectAda.

>Does any one else think that an Ada95 addin for Rational Rose would be a
>good idea.  I know Aonix has StP, but as a consumer I like the idea of
choices.

-- You have choices, and it is one of the nice features of Ada that using one
-- vendors design tools and compiler for development, then compiling with a
-- different compiler for production is possible.  But don't expect all
vendors -- to support all platforms.  Hasn't been true in the past for any
language, and
-- I don't think it ever will.

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;