Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Crispen, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:03:26 -0600
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] sez:

> I previously looked at uncgi. However, I did not wish to get a C compiler
> nor learn C. My suspicion is that the C code in uncgi permits reading the
> command line with the *.exe? part of the string. That is why I started
> this
> thread. Is there an Ada compiler for Windows 98, Windows CE, or any other
> reasonable INTEL based PC which can read the output of a HTML.Form.Get? I
> know about Post. However, one should first worry about reading the string,
> prior to the problem of its parsing.
>
> I will try Rich Conn's approach using the Microsoft Personal Web Server.
> Fortunately, I can separate the GUI based changing of my configuration
> file
> from the execution of my data acquisition program.

Three things.  First, the whole point of uncgi is to avoid
using C and perl on CGI scripts.  I've got plenty of good
old /bin/sh scripts that use the $WWW_ variables.  It's
also useful for passing those strings to C or perl programs
in the argv list.  For the Ada program you're talking about,
you're correct that uncgi isn't very useful, since you need
to call getenv() anyway.  The only use I can see for uncgi
is if there's a problem with getenv() getting the information
properly when your CGI program runs from Microsoft
Personal Web Server.  In that case, uncgi *might* work
better -- but it probably won't.

Second, your real problem is that you can't run CGI scripts,
regardless of the language and regardless of the method,
unless you've got a web server running on your PC that
supports the Common Gateway Interface (CGI).  If
Microsoft Personal Web Server supports CGI, and
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/0/42.asp
says they do -- and they even provide a link to the
standard CGI site at hoohoo -- you're halfway there.

Third, you need to be sure Microsoft Personal Web
Server will run executables (generated by your Ada
compiler).  I see in
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/9/98.ASP
that MSPWS supports perl, and by I infer from closely
reading that article that it probably supports other
languages and straight executables.  Alas, I ran out
of patience before finding the answer on the Microsoft
site.  Presumable the documentation in the program
will tell you what to do.

Of course, a hundred people have no doubt already
suggested that you install Linux and Apache on your
PC, which makes the problem much more traditional.
Kind of like the mathematician who set the fire
before throwing water to put it out in order to reduce
it to a previously solved problem.

Bob Crispen