"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:03:19 -0600
At 11:03 AM 8/29/00 -0400, Kester, Rush W. wrote:

>Mike,
>
> >From what I know, ACM & SIGAda are prohibited from "standards" work.

I would really like to know why you have this impression.  It is explicitly
not true.

MANY ACM and SIG members over the years have played a SIGNIFICANT role in
standards activities.  Talk to Anthony Gargaro (OOPS!  I apologize if I
spelled that name wrong - it has been SO LONG!)  ACM, in fact, has the
option to vote on at least some standards bodies actions.

What IS true is that ACM has NOT made it a policy to try to be a "driving
force" in standards activities, unlike IEEE.  Rather the consistent ACM
position has been that we should be cognizant of what is going on in
standards development, inform our members as best we can of those
activities, and encourage members (and SIGs), as they see fit, to
participate in those activities, but not as "representatives" of the ACM.

>Those ACM/SIGAda members who participate in standardization wear

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

Tire of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.