TEAM-ADA Archives

Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy

TEAM-ADA@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Options: Use Classic View

Use Proportional Font
Show Text Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:34:40 -0400
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: "Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments: text/plain (210 lines)
I received the following reply back from Federal Computer Week:

> Hello Mr. Beard,
>
> Yes it is possible to access back articles. Please check out the following
> link... http://www.fcw.com/issuearchive.asp. Under Federal Computer Week,
> you should find "1999 and before".  This will take you to a page a back
> issues. Unfortunately, I don't think our online archive goes back this
far.
>
> If you'd like a reprint of this particular article, contact Michelle Olk
at
> (651) 582-3810
>
> Lisa

I went to the link and their online archive only goes back to
November 6, 1995.  I haven't tried contacting Michelle Olk.

Frank


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Beard, Frank [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 12:41 PM
> To:   [log in to unmask]
> Subject:      Re: Ada RTOS.
>
> I found the article in one of my file folder archives.
> I used to copy the articles of interest and pitch the
> periodical because I couldn't keep up with the volume,
> but I don't even get Federal Computer Week anymore.
> I think someone else here does.
>
> I went to their WEB site (http://www.fcw.com/), but I
> didn't see anything offhand other than current articles.
> I e-mailed the webmaster to see if we could obtain or
> view back articles.  I'm waiting for the reply.  I'll let you
> know what I find out.
>
> Frank
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Ada Marketing [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> > Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 10:02 AM
> > To:   [log in to unmask]
> > Subject:      Re: Ada RTOS.
> >
> > Frank,
> >
> > Is this article available on line anywhere?
> >
> >
> > We used to point to this movie since the graphic displays shown in their
> > computer room were developed with our TeleUSE product.  Of course being
> a
> > movie,
> > most of the screens were just mock ups.  I had this strange feeling that
> > it
> > might not actually do anything if you pressed the various buttons. :)
> >
> >
> >
> > Beard, Frank wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, I found the article about "Jurassic Park".
> > >
> > > It was in Federal Computer Week (September 27, 1993)
> > > in an article titled "Tri-Ada '93 Speakers Urge More Ada Use",
> > > by Connie Winkler.
> > >
> > > It's not exactly as I remembered, but close.  Some partial
> > > quotes follow:
> > >
> > >      But In fact, the more than 1,000 attendees here learned
> > >      that the distance between government Ada projects, such
> > >      as blah blah blah, and the amazing dinosaurs in "Jurassic
> > >      Park" may be shorter than they realized.
> > >
> > >      "The [Ada] community has been building games for the
> > >      longest time; now think small and cheap and then you'll
> > >      be there, " offered Way Ting, Vice President of the Visual
> > >      Magic Division at Silicon Graphics Inc., Mountain View, Calif.,
> > >      which generated the 3-D computer graphics for the hit movie.
> > >
> > > Further down in the article:
> > >
> > >      Although Ting does not dictate to his programmers which
> > >      language to use, Ada is the perfect fit for today's interactive
> > >      multimedia applications, he said.
> > >
> > >      Ting described how a Silicon Graphics Ada star programmed
> > >      a voice recognition application in 4 1/2 days that used only
> > >      3 percent of the CPU, while the C++ version took two months
> > >      and consumed 17 percent of the CPU.
> > >
> > > So,  I'm not sure if any of the original "Jurassic Park" movie was
> > > done in Ada, or just the voice recognition software mentioned.
> > >
> > > Frank
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Beard, Frank [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> > > > Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 7:42 PM
> > > > To:   [log in to unmask]
> > > > Subject:      Re: Ada RTOS.
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone else recall that the animation/graphics for the
> > > > movie Jurassic Park was written in Ada?
> > > >
> > > > I seem to recall reading an article that said they originally
> > > > wrote it in C++, but it was taking 30% of the CPU.  They
> > > > re-wrote it in Ada and it only took 3% of the CPU.  I also
> > > > seem to recall that it was done by a group at Silicon
> > > > Graphics on their workstations.
> > > >
> > > > That was a pretty good App, but nobody seemed to
> > > > notice it was Ada.
> > > >
> > > > Frank
> > > >
> > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > From: Chris Sparks [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> > > > > Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 11:13 AM
> > > > > To:   [log in to unmask]
> > > > > Subject:      Re: Ada RTOS.
> > > > >
> > > > > Robin Reagan wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > The "high level of support" is where the money can be made (See
> > ACT).
> > > > >
> > > > > I am assuming you are referring to the fact that ACT is not cheap.
> > I
> > > > see
> > > > > this
> > > > > as a dual edged sword.  The high cost can real turn people off.
> > > > >
> > > > > > The support I have been getting from WindRiver is good
> technically
> > but
> > > > > is not
> > > > > > what I consider in a timely manner.
> > > > >
> > > > > Amen to that!
> > > > >
> > > > > > The "Killer app" part is unimportant. What is important is
> showing
> > > > > > (the non-Ada community) that Ada can compete where it counts. If
> > we
> > > > > can't
> > > > > > show that Ada can compete in the area that is was designed for
> we
> > have
> > > > > no
> > > > > > hope in other areas.
> > > > >
> > > > > I disagree.  Ada can compete anywhere, whether it was designed for
> > > > > embedded software or not.  I convinced a down in the trenches
> C/C++
> > > > > teacher in college when I did my graphics class that Ada really
> can
> > do
> > > > > graphics!  He didn't think it was possible.  I was even going
> > against
> > > > the
> > > > > odds since I didn't have much in the way of supporting graphical
> > > > libraries
> > > > > to reuse.
> > > > >
> > > > > > The problem with Linux is the GPL. I work in an area that giving
> > away
> > > > > the
> > > > > > source
> > > > > > would not be acceptable to my employer (And I agree with this).
> Is
> > > > there
> > > > > an
> > > > > > RT/embedded BSD?
> > > > >
> > > > > This giving away code or not giving away code is going to be a
> > thorn.
> > > > > True
> > > > > we all benefit from free software, however, some of us like to
> earn
> > > > money.
> > > > > Call me crazy, however, I would hate to see my hard efforts go to
> a
> > > > pirate
> > > > > who makes money off my labor.  There may be some pieces of
> software
> > > > > that is truly deserving of being free because of its common
> > application
> > > > or
> > > > > lack of marketability.  These I don't have a problem with.  The
> > other
> > > > > types
> > > > > of software, well, needs to be determined if it is a give away or
> > some
> > > > > other
> > > > > form of licensing.
> > > > >
> > > > > Chris Sparks
> >
> > --
> >
> > Greg Gicca
> > Aonix Ada Marketing account
> > [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2