From:
John Dalbey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:59:25 -0800
The current (April 98) issue of BYTE magazine has a
cover story "crashproof computing" about how
unreliable PC's are compared to mainframes and
embedded systems.
Certainly no news to most of us.

The article says one cause is the use of C++ language
for PC applications development.  A list of
alternative languages is presented:  Delphi, PowerBuilder,
TopSpeed, Smalltalk, Visual Basic and Java.
Much to my chagrin, Ada was NOT mentioned.

There is an extensive sidebar "Better Tools for Better
Code" which examines Java's advantages to C++.  Ada
is mentioned in one sentence in the next to last line.

I thought there is an opportunity here for someone
more knowledgeable and articulate than myself to
write a letter to the editor advocating Ada for
applications development on PC's.

--jd