From:
Sergei Lodyagin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sergei Lodyagin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:02:28 +0300
Stephane Richard wrote:

>Well I'm not familiar with SGL so I can't give advantages of one over the
>other, but from what I've read about the Booch components, they seem to be
>field tested for a good few years, and very performant as far as Queues, lists,
>collections and all these features goes.  I dont want to, nor would it be
>intelligent to attempt to reinvent the wheel and create my own if something this
>stable (perhaps SGL is stable too, I just never heard of it, not that I've
>been coding with Ada for many years either, still a rookie but I'm always
>getting better :-).  Booch seems to have everything you could ever want in lists
>and lists management functionalities, and that's what I'm looking for.
>
>Where could I get and find out more about SGL?

Here it is:  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~akonstan/presentations/SGL/

It seams to me that Booch components are really more popular for Ada.
SGL is VERY generic and may be it adds some heaviness.
STL on C++ is much more light becouse in C++ we no need to pass so many
parameters to instantiate
a template as we need it in Ada. When STL is used in C++ all
instantiations are hiden.

Despite my love for Ada I can see that using of Stepanov's generic
function conception is more difficult
in this language (or may be this situation regards only this concrete
implementation, I mean SGL ?).
(At least I can't  invent a better wheel :)

Sergei Lodyagin.