Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:18:54 -0400
From:
"Thomas \"Tom\" Panfil" <[log in to unmask]>
>DE:
>>  ..... give me fuel to educate these
>> developers and keep the popularity of the resilient language growing?
>
>RL:
>> ...., the marketing capability of the Ada community with few
exceptions
>> is inversely proportional to its technical ability...
>
>WWG:
>Robert Leif may have exaggerated a little, but it is true that the
reasons
>Ada is better than Java and certainly better than C++ for most
purposes...

With respect to Ada marketing ... Last week I attended an awards banquet
for
winners of science fairs in the Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD region.
The
most impressive looking display was of the solution of large systems of
highly
non-linear equations for lens design using "genetic selection"
techniques.

I asked the high school junior which language he used, and of course it
was
C++.  When I asked him if he had considered Ada, he said that Ada was
named
after a woman considered to be the first programmer, and that it was
*one of
the first languages, and was dead a long time ago,* so "no".

Seems the message reaching some smart high school kids is a bit garbled.

Tom Panfil -- Baltimore SIGAda