From:
Ed Falis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:18:49 EST
** Reply to message from Dave Wood <[log in to unmask]> on Tue, 14 Jul 1998
09:47:43 -0700

> Jerry van Dijk wrote:
> >

> > > Being a Unix fanatic, I wish I needed components for X-Windows, but I
> > > need them for Windows 95 and Windows NT.  Thanks.
> >
> > Well, I guess you will have to learn Windows programming...
> >

> Well, this would be the wise thing for him to do
> given the variety of options for Windows GUI
> programming in Ada.  But, an option for the
> Unix-impaired is to use TeleUSE/Win from Aonix,
> which automatically generates Windows look-n-feel
> GUIs running on an X server on Windows.  Then again,
> it's not a particularly cheap solution, and Bill
> has already indicated he can't spend any money.
> Maybe there are some free X bindings and a free
> Windows X server out there.  Yuck.
>
> -- Dave Wood, Aonix
> -- Product Manager, Win32 and Java products

Of course, yet another option would be to learn enough about the Java APIs, and
use either a bytcode generator like appletmagic, objectada and soon Gnat, or a
native binding to it like Shayne Flint's AdaJNI (www.ainslie-software.com) which
works with both objectada and gnat for native applications that start and call a
Java VM for GUI and other capabilities (won't hurt the career prospects to learn
those API's either).

- Ed Falis
Aonix