From:
Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:07:35 -0800
Stanley Allen wrote:

> Chris Sparks wrote:
> >
> > All of this talk of Ada Letters is getting to me.  I subscribed
> > to SigAda back in Novemeber of last year and still haven't seen
> > anything yet.  Now to access a website that really gets me going.
> >

> Same here.  I signed up for (and paid for) ACM membership at SIGAda but
> apparently something got lost somewhere.

As SIGAda'99 Chair, I apologize to all of you in this situation for the
appearance that the SIGAda memberships you bought as part of conference
registration have not been activated yet.  Surely ACM should have sent you
a membership card by now (our registrar turned in the new-members data
immediately after the conf.), but as far as your first issues of Ada
LETTERS go, (as I think Editor-in-Chief Martin Carlisle has already said),
there was a glitch with ACM's printer/publisher/mailhouse regarding the
Dec'99 issue and this has of course also backed up the March'2000 issue.
(Ada LETTERS is quarterly now, in case you missed that change.)  The irony
is that the whole reason for the snafu is that with the December'99 issue
of Ada LETTERS we are bundling our annual free 2-disc Walnut Creek
Ada/Software Engineering CD update  --  and it's the same Oct'99 edition
all you new joiners already picked up at SIGAda'99.  Unfortunately, Walnut
Creek accidentally sent 800 of the Nov'98 CD pairs instead of the Oct'99
pairs we had ordered.  I can not explain why those were ordered and shipped
back in November (maybe early December) and they were still sitting waiting
to be bundled with Ada LETTERS less than a month ago.

Please do not blame ACM.  This is primarily Walnut Creek's fault, and
perhaps secondarily Cadmus's (the outfit who prints & mails stuff) for
noticing so late that the wrong CDs had been received  --  but give Cadmus
credit for noticing so that at least they weren't mailed with the year-old
CDs (which were included with Ada LETTERS a year earlier).  Walnut Creek
has of course made good on replacing the Nov'98 baselines with the intended
Oct'99 updates as soon as this error was brought to their attention, and I
understand from email this week that they have now been shipped to Cadmus
(they had to replicate more).

I am hopeful that you will all (current and new members) receive both the
Dec'99 and Mar'2K issues of Ada LETTERS in your mailboxes in April.  Hang
in there, and I anticipate much prompter newsletter mailings in the
future.  SIGAda has for almost our entire existence had a track record of
on-timeliness of our newsletter almost unmatched by any other SIG, and
there is no reason why we should not get back into that habit.  After all,
I think Martin had the March issue done and sent to ACM HQ over a month
ago.

     -Hal