From:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:51:03 -0500
>  > Not only that, but it is difficult to argue that Ada is the most portable
>  > language, since an easy comeback is "What language is used for the
>  > compiler?".  The Intermetrics front end is in C.  The GNAT back end is in
>  > C.  "Why?"  Portability.
>
>This is misinformed.  The GNAT back end was written long before Ada 95
>existed, by people with no knowledge or interest in Ada.
>The AverStar Ada front end was written in C before there was an
>Ada 95 compiler, and was intended to be licensed to compiler companies
>whose existing technology was based on C or Pascal.  Now that we
>have our own Ada 95 to C technology, we have begun to write major
>new modules (e.g. our front end optimizer) in Ada, and then deliver
>the generated C sources to our licensees.
'
Tuck, sounds like your new system would work really well paird with
something like apples mpw (which is now free) or codewarrior on the
mac.   intermetrics could make up for not producing the mac compiler
they were contracted for years ago by bringing your new technology to
the mac! :-)

best jim

At a recent computer software engineering course in the US, the participants
were given an awkward question to answer.  "If you had just boarded an
airliner and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible
for the flight control software, how many of you would disembark
immediately?"
                     unknown author