Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:09:44 EST
[log in to unmask] (Tom Moran) wrote:

>Stanley Allen suggests we look at what would turn on the target
>customers for Ada.  Toward this end I suggest, in the absence of more
>complete data, comments from folks here about how they got into using
>Ada and why they stayed.

In 1988 I needed to write a maintainable program.  I liked Pascal for
the strong typing, but I heard Ada had even stronger typing.

In 1994 I needed to write a portable program, and since there were
Pascal compilers on all the target platforms, I tried a mix of Pascal
and Ada.  As it turns out, the Pascal's were all different, so I am
back to Ada.

In 1997 I convinced someone that I should write their program in Ada
rather than C.  There was much gnashing of teeth, but it ended up in
Ada.  Of the many issues which have arisen, language choice has not
been a problem.