Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:21:33 +0100
From:
Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>
I have followed the AVM thread... but I fail to see the point doing an
Ada Virtual Machine.

The JVM was done to be able to have "migrating" program on the Internet. A
program that will move from a server to the client machine to do
something. Well this is what the applet was about... a moving guy juggling :)

The applet technology is a failure in my point of view. Now Java has done the
move back to the server side and only a very small part of Java code is
downloaded to the client browser. Ok there is some exception but look around
there is not so many site with big applets. BTW, the move back to the server
side, the EJB, Java beans etc. was a great chance for SUN to sell big Sparc
servers to have the program running at a decent speed, nice move from SUN :)

Anyway, what the point about the AVM. I do agree that it will be a nice piece
of technology but what the goal ? what will be the usage ? Do you think that
peoples well download a new virtual machine (we have already 2 of them now
with Microsoft .Net).

The best cross-platform code we have today is the Ada code ! No need for a VM
technology :)

For the little applet needed for a given application it is ok to do it in Java
or with an Ada to JVM compiler like JGNAT or AppletMagic. It is quite easy to
have this code talking to the Ada code on the server side.

Guess what would be the killer application in my point of view ? GLADE ported
to the JVM. This way you would be able to build a distributed (or
client/server) applications all in Ada and have one partition loaded on the
client browser and all others part on the server(s).

So I will say that GLADE port to the JVM is far more important than a new
virtual machine.

Just my 2 cents :)

Pascal.

--|