Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:09:55 -0800
From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
From: Bob Leif
To: Simon Wright et al.

As far as I could discern, the one key component that is unavailable in Ada
is a persistent object. Michael Card has demonstrated that this is feasible
with his FIRM database. However, FIRM presently appears to be unavailable
and the software is owned by Lockheed. My experience with Lockheed is that I
have a very high regard for the corporation's technical ability, very high
admiration for Michael Card's work, and very little hope that Lockheed could
ever successfully market commercial software.

I deliberately did not use the term persistent_object class, because a
requirement should not specify an implementation and Ada's object oriented
programming repertoire includes tagged types, generics, and elegant
combinations of both.