From:
"Crispen, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Crispen, Bob
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:09:49 -0600
W. Wesley Groleau x4923 [mailto:[log in to unmask]] sez:

>It just occurred to me: M$ claimed GPL code is unfair competition,
>but maybe their real objection is "The GPL won't let us steal it."
>
>After all, it's nearly impossible to prevent someone from giving
>away code.  But it is NOT impossible to prevent the enforcement
>of a license like GPL.

Apologies if this is a repetition, but you really ought to
get a copy of ftp.exe and, either use Cygwin or copy it over
to a Unix box and type:

        % strings ftp.exe | less

You may find it enlightening.

>> Do people who claim that the GPL contaminates everything it touches
>> seriously believe that, by using the code for uudecode in my little
>> newsreader, I've changed the licensing on uudecode from BSD to GPL?
>
>The GPL (not the LGPL or code covered by a GNAT-style exception)
>plainly states that one is not allowed to combine GPL-covered code
>with code that is not GPL-covered.  Unless you are hiding/hoarding
>the source for that item, you don't have to worry about FSF
>prosecution.

Which is why I claim in the documentation and the source that
such-and-such a routine is covered by a different license.

You threw a scare into me for a minute there.  I thought you
were saying that in all the times I've read over GPL 2.0, I
missed where it said I couldn't incorporate code with other
licenses, provided that the license is marked.

>Although, one could argue that you have violated the license, because
>you have not (cannot) prohibit the BSD code from being incorporated
>into an otherwise proprietary program.

That one gives me a headache.  Does uudecode have BSD nature?
We seem to be but a short step from vitalism and madness.

;-)
--
Bob Crispen